The information that we collect
When you use the Service you may provide and we may collect what is generally called "personally identifiable" information, such as you name, e-mail address, mailing address, mobile phone number, demographic information and credit card information. For example, you may provide us with personally identifiable information when you register for an account, use the Service, post User Content, interact with other users of the Service through communication or messaging features, or send us customer service related requests.
When you use the Service, we may send one or more cookies – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your computer. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Service. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser "Help" file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the Service, you may not be able to utilize the features of the Service to their fullest potential.
"Automatically Collected" Information
When you use the Service or open one of our HTML e-mails, we may automatically record certain information from your web browser by using different types of technology, including "clear gifs" or "web beacons." This "automatically collected" information may include your IP address or other device address or ID, web browser and/or device type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the Service, the pages you view on the Service, and the dates and times that you visit, access, or use the Service. This information is gathered for all users.
Third Party Web Beacons
We may also implement third party content, such as advertising, on the Service that uses "clear gifs" or "web beacons", which allow the third party content provider to read and write cookies to your browser in connection with your viewing of the third party content on the Service. This information is collected directly by the third party, and LearnSprout does not participate in that data transmission. Information collected by third parties in this manner is subject to that third party's own data collection, use, and disclosure policies.
Information from Other Sources
How we use the information we collect
Your information is an integral part of our operations, and we used it in a variety of ways in providing the Service and operating our business. For example:
- We use the information that you provide or that we collect, to operate, maintain, enhance and provide all of the features of the Service.
- We will use all of the information that you provide of that we collect to understand and analyze the usages trends and preferences of our users, to improve the Service, and to create new features and functionality.
- We may use your e-mail address or other personal information (a) to contact you for administrative purposes such as customer service, to address intellectual property infringement, right of privacy violations or defamation issues related to your User Content posted on the Service or (b) to send you promotional messages related to the Service and the activities of third parties we work with. Generally, you have the ability to opt-out of receiving any such communications, either through links provided in the messages or by updating your account preferences through the Service.
- We may use "cookies" information and "automatically collected" information to: (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Service; (b) provide customized third party advertisements, content, and information; (c) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of Service and third party marketing activities; (d) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed; and (e) track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities.
When we disclose information
We are not in the business of selling your information! We do, however, disclose your personally identifiable information in a variety of circumstances in connection with providing the Service and the operation of our business. For example
- We work with third-party service providers to provide website, application development, hosting, maintenance, and other services for us. To the extent it is necessary for these third-party service providers to complete their contractual obligations to us, these third parties may have access to or process your personally identifiable information. Generally, these disclosures are made under terms comparable to this policy, and the recipients are limited to using the information the purpose for which it was provided.
- We make certain automatically collected and other aggregate non-personally-identifiable information available to third parties, to: (i) comply with various reporting obligations; (ii) for business or marketing purposes; or (iii) to assist such parties in understanding our users' interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality available through the Service.
- We may also disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright law), in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement activity.
- We also reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to take precautions against liability; to protect LearnSprout, Inc. and others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the Service; or to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of LearnSprout, Inc. our users, or others.
You may, of course, decline to share certain personally identifiable information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the Service. You may update, correct, or delete your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your account preferences page through the Service. Please note that while your changes are reflected promptly in active user databases, we may retain all information you submit for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics.
Third Party Services
The Service may contain features, such as the Single Sign-on, or links to Web sites and services provided by third parties. Any personally identifiable information you provide on third party sites or services is provided directly to that third party and is subject to that third party's policies, if any, governing privacy and security, even if accessed through the Service. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of third party sites or services to which links or access are provided through the Service. We encourage you to learn about third parties' privacy and security policies before providing them with personally identifiable information.
Our Commitment to Children's Privacy
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, we do not allow children under 13 to use the Service or knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information from persons under 13 years-of-age, and no part of the Service is directed to persons under 13. If you are under 13 years-of-age, then please do not use or access Service at any time or in any manner. If we learn that personally identifiable information has been collected on the Service from persons under the age of 13 and without verifiable parental consent, then we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under the age of 13 has obtained an account on the Service, then you may alert us at email@example.com and request that we delete that child's personally identifiable information from our systems.
Our Commitment to Data Security
We use certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards that are designed to improve the integrity and security of your personally identifiable information. We will provide a solid standard to ensure the security of any information you transmit to us or store on the Service. We cannot guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If we learn of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. We may post a notice through the Service if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach you should notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Although we may allow you to adjust your privacy settings to limit access to your information, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot control the actions of other users with whom you may choose to share your information. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that information you post on the Service will not be viewed by unauthorized persons. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website. You understand and acknowledge that, even after removal, copies of information that you have posted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other users have copied or stored such information.
The Service is hosted in the United States and is intended solely for visitors located within the United States. If you choose to use the Service from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personally identifiable information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing, and by providing your personally identifiable information on the Service you consent to that transfer, storage, and processing.
In the Event of Merger or Sale
In the event that all or a portion of LearnSprout, Inc. or its assets are acquired by or merged with a third party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information that we have collected from users in connection with such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.
Our Contact Information